Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Like swallowing muscle rub

Imagine swallowing soup that's too hot, then taking repeated spoonfuls of, oh, Icy Hot or your favorite muscle rub. That's kind of an approximation of what I've been feeling all day. The Protonix is somehow not working any more; maybe it's the effect of the cold or maybe with some people it just stops working. (We've read a few reports of that.) This is a repeat nightmare of several years ago when I presumably had "pill esophagitis". The Prilosec prescribed simply didn't work or somehow made things worse. In fact, as now, nothing worked.

If I go see a GI doc, they'll just wait a week, do an enteroscope, then shrug, and say, "Yup, looks bad, expect it to last several months; how's that Prilosec working out for you? Here, have some carafate" like they did last time. Been chugging carafate for weeks, tried Prilosec, tried Protonix, Dr. D. suggested I can either switch back to Prilosec at 2x/d or stick with the Protonix. Some GERD sufferers report Protonix failure then success with AciPhex, so maybe I'll beg some of that tomorrow. Tylenol, sips of water, warm boullion, hot showers, cold night air, all help briefly. Nothing helps for long, and of course inflammation gets worse at night, and with GERD -- no sleeping flat anyway. So maybe an all-night blog. Do have some serious pain-killer left from the bone marrow biopsy. Tried half of one this afternoon, didn't help much, just made me dopey. Stunningly bored, have slept as much as possible, but can't focus on much besides the pain.

Today is the one-year anniversary of my Mom's passing on. Mom, if you've settled in, I could use a hand about now.

1 comment:

The Youngs said...

Sounds like the pits!

Let us know when you run out of maple syrup -- we've got a bumper crop this year.

Love, Margy