Monday, March 24, 2008

Mad at a March hair

We had gale force winds one day last week, and for most of the morning dog walk my head was entirely covered: knit cap, sunglasses, scarf, face mask. Which is a good thing in more than one way, because when I removed my cap, my hair did an imitation of a late-summer dandelion in the wind. Thus begins the hair loss process, confirmed daily by my pillow, bath towel, shower drain strainer, and my wardrobe of classy black jackets.

It's entirely on-schedule, leading me to hope the intended process of chemo is likewise going as planned. So far, the hair is mostly just thinning. Katy thinks the gray(-est) hair may be departing earliest.

Although I've been warned by folks who were previously chemo'd to expect global hair loss, so far the beard and outlying regions remain hirsuit. (If things change, Katy assures me of enhanced swimming speed. Who knows, maybe I can get back that Speedo modelling gig for AARP magazine.)

I suppose one advantage of going bald at my age is that the gray hair no longer advertises my advanced age. Nontheless, it's all just a little bit... um... dis-tressing. A creatively minded friend suggested I dress as a pirate, with authentic pirate wear such as a headscarf with skull and crossbones printed on it and an eyepatch. I suggested a parrot puppet on my shoulder, which could then make rude remarks that I myself would never make. Opportunities for piercings and (henna) tatoos abound.

Second round of chemo this Wednesday, the 26th. MA has kindly offered to drive me there and has also loaned me her early-model iPod. I will bring lunch, "coffee" and snacks, and K will pick me up when the turkey timer pops up mid-afternoon.

Apart from K and I taking turns having killer overnight sinus headaches with associated weird dreams*, we remain robust and, of course, grateful as heck for everyone's loving concern.

D

PS -- Happy B'day, JTW!!! Wish we wuz there or vice-versed.

* For instance, dreaming that you can't get to sleep because you have a killer sinus headache.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's interesting that your beard & other hair that's not on the top of your head is still hanging on tight. Is that unusual? Do you feel like Alex, shedding-wise?

What's the deal with the "coffee"? Can't - or don't - you drink the real stuff? Oy. I hope you haven't had to give up that for this stupid disease.

By the way, I remember your URL as "My National Hockey League Diary". Can you help me come up with a more suitable name -- one that doesn't include non-hodgkins lymphoma? How about "My Nice Hawaii Life Diary" or "My Naughty Habits in Leather Diary"????

xoxoxo-
SR

Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Without hair your cost of shampoo will drop, as well as the need for a comb or brush!

Bald is beautiful.....