Somehow, this text didn't get up on the blog on Wednesday, but did on CaringBridge,
Hi, folks! Well – never have two people floated to a hospital stay buoyed by so many heartfelt good wishes and prayers! It is really wonderful to hear from you all, and makes me think that it might be possible to get through 3 weeks here without putting my head through the window glass. (Something I contemplated last night.) Thank you all! And the Brigham’s glass company thanks you.
I am up on the 6th floor, pod C, room 56, and the room phone number is 617-732-4175. I also have my cell on most of the time, and I will be on Skype as well. My Skype name is dave.katy.alex, and I have a webcam (you don’t need one).
If you want to visit, right now the best thing to do first is check with Katy (or me) by email or phone. Mostly, just to make sure that I’m OK to receive visitors and that no more than 3 people arrive at the same time.
So… OK, we were told to show up Tuesday around 7PM, and did, but it turns out the cleaning person preparing the room decided to take a dinner break. It was 8:30 before we got the room. Then the night nurse (Amanda) was quite busy and so we didn’t get to unpack and get my lessons until 10-11. Neither of us made it to bed before 12:30 AM. I gradually acquired a flaming sinus headache that did not subside until about 7AM after some oxycodone and a hot shower. (N.B. bring your own OTC drugs to the hospital and just don’t ask, don’t tell.) Did some meditation, decided that boxer shorts were the garb of the day, comfy and practical, and had my interviews / lesson with the mindfulness meditation clinical study that I’m signed on for. Despite lack of sleep, feel pretty good this AM. The room does have a stunning view of the HVAC system, but beyond that I can see hills with trees and the radio towers in Needham, I think.
This morning around 11 they started my chemo, and so far so good. I ordered a sirloin burger, fries, and dessert, and it all went down just fine. Oddly, the Pepsi tastes a bit medicinal! Katy had a chance to sleep in, yahoo! And go to the gym! I ordered 2 desserts at lunch and she can have one. They recently moved to a “room service” approach to food, with a nice menu, and 45 minutes delivery, between 7AM and 9PM. This is nice.
In short (and in shorts), at this noon hour all is quite well.
Hugs and/or kisses as appropriate,
D
Going Long
-
*So, how did we get here? Not because one party discovered a winning
campaign slogan, a charismatic leader, or because of one presidential
election. We ...
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment